關於 html5

asked 2010-01-10 22:02:49 +0800

lendle gravatar image lendle
213 3

Hello,
Is there any plan in ZK team for supporting of Html5?
I'll be looking forward for this,
thanks!

delete flag offensive retag edit

15 Replies

Sort by » oldest newest

answered 2010-01-11 02:28:11 +0800

tomyeh gravatar image tomyeh
610 1 3
http://blog.zkoss.org ZK Team

We don't have the schedule for it yet. May I know why it is important to you, and what ZK can do better with it? Thanks.

link publish delete flag offensive edit

answered 2010-01-13 01:05:05 +0800

lendle gravatar image lendle
213 3

Hello,
thanks, tomyeh
I'm just worrying about compatibility issues. If major browser vendors start transiting from Html 4.0 to Html 5.0, I don't think downward compatibility can be completely ensured.

answered 2010-01-19 20:54:22 +0800

610 1 3

Don't worry. It is our job to make it compatible:)

answered 2010-02-03 20:24:00 +0800

610 1 3

updated 2010-02-03 23:36:07 +0800

In additions to ensuring the backward compatibility, we will, with ZK 6 perhaps, provide some features to explore the potential of HTML 5, such as Web socket, storing data locally, and so on.

answered 2010-07-01 15:59:04 +0800

valmar gravatar image valmar
925 2 13
http://www.timo-ernst.net

Well, in my opinion HTML5 would give ZK some great enhancements.
Think about local storage and database features for example. Storing/Caching data on the client's browser can save traffic and webspace on the server.
Web workers also can help to improve application performance.
My #1 feature though is drag and drop support between desktop and browser. That really improves usability regarding file uploads.

answered 2010-07-11 21:50:08 +0800

iantsai gravatar image iantsai
2755 1

I think D&D part is possible in near future(maybe a couple of months), but those local storage and database features are not that easy.

The problem is not about unknown tech part but spec.

The usage of local storage and database are too relative to each Web Application's design and purpose, currently I don't have any good Idea of how to integrate it, do you?

answered 2010-07-12 01:58:02 +0800

925 2 13

Actually, I think the biggest problems at the moment are cross-browser issues. The HTML5 spec is not done yet but browser manufacturers already started to implement these features, like e.g. some CSS3 functions:

"-webkit-corner-radius" and "-moz-corner-radius" instead of "corner-radius"

Regarding the usage of local storage/database: I'd find it pretty cool if there was an interface in ZK, which would provide me a possibility to use JDBC in order to store, delete, modify and retrieve data from the user's "browser-database" using HTML5. Then, the usage of such a database would not be dependent from the design of a web-application anymore. Instead, it's just an interface that can be used to communicate with a database.

answered 2010-07-12 21:14:25 +0800

2755 1

It could be done and I believe wrap it as a generic interface at client side will provide Developer a better way to do things, just like JQuery to Browser DOM.

The issue is, "according to ZK's focusing, why and how ZK do this?" that's what I mean the problem.

answered 2010-07-13 06:07:00 +0800

925 2 13

updated 2010-07-13 06:08:59 +0800

Why: For Caching purposes -> Leads to less server polls -> Less server load
How: Provide an interface which lets the developer use the HTML5 storage functions through Java (or through a dedicated JavaScript library, like JQuery, as you suggested. I'd personally prefer the Java way through JDBC though.)

answered 2010-07-18 22:36:06 +0800

2755 1

You mean wrapping client side DB and control it at the server side?

Then there will be a lo of callback and serialization to help crossing internet and which will make the API become complex.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea to ZK's architecture philosophy.

The better way that I can imagine is we can use such DB to store unused client widgets, objects and data, we can decrease the loading effort.
In such case, we can speed up some operation such as desktop resize.

Currently my personal opinion is, those UI features from HTML5 are definitely need to be studied, webSocket need to be evaluated if it will impact future Web Container design.
But the most important part and impact is not come from these features, because they are all exists in other multimedia-platform for almost 5 years, the pattern and usage of them will soon be mature and the integration won't be too difficult, the problem or challenge we will have is about the computing efficiency and improvement of javascript.

Quantitative change will make Qualitative change, the power of new generation of Jscript Engine will break the barrier between PC and cellphone, plus GPU support and Video Decode, 3D programming will become possible. I believe this part of software solution will come to the market in the next 3 years.

Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2010-01-10 22:02:49 +0800

Seen: 2,125 times

Last updated: Nov 07 '12

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting