ZK 6 Composite Feature

asked 2011-12-14 15:22:37 +0800

shumy gravatar image shumy
244 1

I have noticed that you are working on the Composite feature of ZK 6. This is a very important feature, that you must push forward in more than the basics.

In the Define Composite Component using Java Annotation in ZK6 Small Talk I ask, how can I build components with child components in ZK 6, using the annotation mechanism?

This is what ZK needs for truly MVVM. Using complex binding features for enterprise application's (mostly information systems), you are getting of the point.
Complex bind system is OK to have, but MVVM needs complex custom component definitions that bind to a custom model.

Good enterprise application development is about: re-usability and consistency of model's.
For example: I what to use a Master and Detail components for a group of data that fits well in this kind of presentation. But a really useful Master-Detail view is not just about ZK list, grids, buttons. You can have fast search and complex search system, a list print action, export to CSV action, etc. And I want to reuse this pattern consistently in all my application's.

Master-Detail is not a big example because it's a pattern extensively explored in applications, and you have almost every thing you need in ZK. But I have an example that I'm working right now:

I want a report system that is composed by "IndexGroup" components, these components bind to a model (IndexTable, IndexColumn, IndexValue, IndexRow, IndexChart, etc). "IndexGroup" can show a detail table, resume tables, graphs, export to CSV, configure the presentation and layout of these items.
I also need other components, but the "IndexGroup" is the most complex one.

This report system requires a complex "IndexGroup" component, but once I have it, I will be able to develop my reports in minutes, instead of hours.

With a good component development framework, enterprises will build the component collection they need for their applications with the respective model architecture. Build-it fast and build-it better.

Please explore this possibility. I would love to build my one component collection, and probably release it to the community.
Also, when I mentioned the OSGi compatibility for ZK 6 I was thinking about this, since it will help to maintain the component collection (version and repository)

delete flag offensive retag edit

1 Reply

Sort by ยป oldest newest

answered 2011-12-16 12:21:14 +0800

shumy gravatar image shumy
244 1

Hell, my threads are all unanswered :)
I'm again here to say that composite and component development is an important topic that ZK team must tackle better.
Look at the Vaadin framework. I believe they are growing better than ZK, and I also believe it's because they give great tools and documents for the community to build there own components. Vaadin components are growing mostly because of external (to Vaddin team) development.
You can't do all thing alone, start delegating, providing a good component development base.

link publish delete flag offensive edit
Your reply
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a substantial answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (after you log in)!

[hide preview]

Question tools

Follow

RSS

Stats

Asked: 2011-12-14 15:22:37 +0800

Seen: 402 times

Last updated: Dec 16 '11

Support Options
  • Email Support
  • Training
  • Consulting