ZK Sample Application
Michael Lee, Principal Systems Analyst, The Kowloon Motor Bus Co. (1933) Limited
May 29, 2006
I ported the first Java Web Application I encountered (2-3 years ago) to ZK, it is the example application that come with Struts. During this process, all business objects of Struts-Example has been reused without amendment. This is a very simple example, however it can demonstrate how to implement screen flow, how to perform data validation and how to access business logic layer. Also, in this sample, I have used the Live Data listbox with a custom ListitemRenderer to display multiple columns, implement a custom event, passing parameter on window creation and other skills required to create a real-life application.
Following is the screenshots for original and transformed application.
- Screenshots of Strut Sample Application
- Screenshots of ZK Sample Application
To port the application, follows steps performed:
- Design the UI for the application. If you have desktop application development experience, this should not be a problem.
- Review the source code for Struts-Example. Actually, only business logic layer will be retained. Form beans and Struts actions is not required in a ZK application. However, we need to examine the source code and see how to invoke the bundled business logic.
- Remove Struts dependent code from business layer. In this case, I need to convert a Struts Plug-in (class: MemoryDatabasPlugIn) to a ServletContextListener.
- Create ZUL pages using Zk's build-in component. Add necessary constraints and event handler code to input UI (such as check repeat password against password on item change - OnChange).
- Code methods to perform required functionality by invoking Struts-Example's business layer. Validation on input field need to perform again since constraints will not block further processing automatically. (Alternate approach may be : only enable submit button when all input fields are okay).
To run ZK, you need a Web Container which support Servlet 2.4. If you have ZK installed, just deploy the zk-sample.war to the Container. For Tomcat, it means copy it to webapps. To install the sample application bundled with ZK (1.2.0 RC3), use zk-sample-full.war.
- For implementation details, please refer to the source code, which are part of zk-sample.war and zk-sample-full.war.
- The source codes of the Struts example is here.
- Internationalization the application using ZK's build-in feature
- Code refactorization to reduce code duplication and uniform when to use Java Class, when to use zscript.
Michael Lee is a Principal Systems Analyst working for The Kowloon Motor Bus Co. (1933) Limited (Hong Kong). His major responsibility is on application design and implementation on client/server architecture using Powerbuilder. Experience on Java and Web development is limited.
|Copyright © Michael Lee. This article is licensed under GNU Free Documentation License.|